Press wanting to cover the UK Steampunk Festival
Weekend at the Asylum is a private ticketed event. It is run by the VSS on a not-for-profit basis for the UK steampunk community. As such we reserve all rights with regards to press access and rights to the event. The event does not require publicity nor do we actively seek such. Of course we recognise that the event is interesting to a wider audience and is a visual spectacle. Some of the exhibitors at the event do appreciate publicity. It is for these reasons that we are prepared to grant Press access to the event on a limited basis. Press passes are available to representatives of published newspapers and magazines, TV and radio. They must be applied for directly from the company concerned. Sorry but we do not ordinarily grant event Press Passes to freelancers or for online publication other than by invitation. We reserve the right to refuse press passes and cancel them as we see fit.
Press passes must be prebooked and authorised. This can be done by downloading and completing the form above. Please return it to HERE. Press applications must be made by August 31st at the very latest. Applications made after this date CANNOT be processed no matter who you are.
- Press passes are issued on the following conditions:
- 1. All copyrights, trademarks etc relevant to the event and all people/items featured at/taking part in the event will be respected.
- 2. Copies of all photographs taken will be supplied on a CD to the VSS within fourteen days of the end of the event. Permission is granted for the VSS to use these photographs to promote the event in future at no charge. Permission is also granted for their free use on the society's websites. (See below)
- 3. Where items are broadcast in whatever form permission is granted and will be facilitated for embedding in websites operated by the VSS and its organisers plus sites such as Vimeo and Youtube which may be used for hosting.
- 4. Complementary copies of any publications or recorded media will be supplied to the VSS immediately upon release.
- 5. Steampunk is a very polite community. We expect people to behave according to those standards. Please ask people for their permission before you photograph them and ask for permission to publish or broadcast their image, words or ideas.
- 6. All press pass holders agree to comply with the instructions of event staff and stewards.
PHOTOGRAPHY POLICY - An individual photographer attending the event?
Weekend at the Asylum is of course a very photogenic event with well dressed people and historic backdrops. This page is of guidelines if you want to take photographs or film at the event. Many people are happy to have their photograph taken but some people prefer to be left alone. You must ask before you take a picture. Remember there is only one rule in steampunk BE POLITE!!!
Unfortunately we have had some problems with a tiny minority of aggressive, impolite or unpleasant photographers or Togs. We appreciate this is a minority and apologise for seeming stand offish or unhelpful. This minority gives you, the polite photographer, a bad name and causes you problems in taking pictures. For their benefit we should therefore state the legal points:
The event, whilst open to the public is a private event.
Event venues including the Castle, whilst open to the public, are not public spaces. You DO NOT have a RIGHT to take photographs unless taken from the highway.
Notice is given here and on notices at the venues to desist from taking photographs unless you ask permission. Ignoring these notices will be considered to be harrassment and invasion of privacy.
Consent for commercial use of images is expressly witheld.
Other than official VSS photographers and people with a VSS Press Pass pictures may only be taken for non commercial use. You can share them through Flickr etc and indeed we have a flickr group for Asylum photos. Please also include them there. Photographs may not be used in publications or sold without a release form being signed by all people in the photograph. ALL photographs (amateur and professional) are permitted on condition that copies are supplied to the people in the pictures free of charge for their own use. Photographers are of course free to visit Lincoln during the weekend but may not enter event areas without the appropriate participant's pass. (Visit the tickets portal to buy your passes.) If you wish to attend the ball to take pictures then please note the dress code is formal and you may be turned away if you are inappropriately dressed.
- All photographers accept the terms and conditions laid down here.
- BE POLITE. If people do not want to be in a picture respect their privacy.
- VSS Official press pass photographers only are permitted to take pictures for publication/sale.
- Pictures may be shared free of charge through Flickr etc.
- ALL photographers agree to supply copies free of charge to people in photographs.
- Dress codes must be observed where appropriate.
- Admission is as per participants/pass holders only.
- Instructions of VSS staff and stewards must be complied with at all times.
We do not want the situation to deteriorate as it has at Whitby Gothic Weekend where some parts of the town have felt they have to ban photography altogether.
If everyone can be polite and work together then we can have a great festival.